Baby Steps

So, I've posted about Audrey's crippling shyness... but we're making progress!!  I am so proud of her!  There is an older girl on her school bus that lives a few houses down.  Audrey always talks about her, but not so much to her.  So, over the last few weeks, I've encouraged her to talk to her as they walk down the street from the bus.  It started out with her just saying, "Hi, Regina" and "Bye, Regina".  Audrey has asked me several times if she could go to her house - yet she wouldn't talk to her.  Last Thursday she asked me again as we were walking home from the bus and I replied, "If you want to play with her, you have to ask her yourself."  Much to my surprise, she turned around to Regina without hesitation and said, "Can I come to your house and play some time?"  Regina said, "Yeah, I'd like for you to.  I'll ask my mom."  So, today was an official play date!  They did so well together!  Regina, who is in the 4th grade, played so sweet with Audrey.  (Regina is an only child and would like to have a little sister.  Of course, Audrey loves older girls.  They're so "cool".)

This whole play date was a "God thing".  My plan was to just drop her off "like a big girl", but Regina's mom really wanted me to come in, too.  I was somewhat hesitant because I left Maddie at home with a sick husband (and she was sad she didn't have a play date) and honestly, I thought it might be awkward because I don't know her very well and thought the conversation might be hollow.  I've walked to the school bus stop with her several times, but never much more than chit chat.  This may sound silly, but I have a hard enough time understanding people that speak perfectly good English - give me someone with a thick accent and I struggle to hold up a conversation.  Seriously, I think there's something wrong with my ears - or at least the line going from my ears to the brain that comprehends what it hears.  I say, "huh and what" a lot.  Anyway... back on topic.... Regina's mom was an absolute joy!  Turns out they moved to the US 20 months ago from Mexico City (where she was an auditor for the government) - and they did not speak any English.  Let me say, to have only started learning the language 20 months ago, she is doing amazingly well!  She said she really wants more opportunities to practice English conversation.  She's at home alone a lot.  She doesn't work.  And, her husband is gone for long periods of time for work.    This time he was gone for 50 days - or was it 15?  That whole "hearing" thing again.  Anyway, I asked her if she went to church anywhere and what other activities she was involved in.  We had a nice visit, exchanged phone numbers, and agreed to get together again more frequently.

It's always nice to meet a new friend!  Here I was worried about Audrey - when I think it was really the adults that needed the interaction.  God sure is crafty!  =)  And, He sure is good!

1 comments:

  1. Fields said...:

    It sounds like you both had fun!

 
Loving, Losing, & Living © 2011 | Designed by Ibu Hamil, in collaboration with Uncharted 3 News, MW3 Clans and Black Ops