Looking Forward to the Second Grade

It's time!  It's time to look forward to the second grade.  Several have asked, so I'm sharing our curriculum choices and considerations with you.  I placed the order for our Core curriculum this week.  We're sticking with Sonlight.  I just love it!  We're finishing up Core A over the summer.  We would have finished a few weeks ago, but we switched it up second semester and put it away to work on other things.  One difference this year is that we're doing the 4 day instead of 5 day.  She takes supplemental classes one day a week, so I feel like the 4 day will be sufficient.
We're also sticking with Apologia for Science.  We started with Astronomy.  We'll do Botany next year.  This is the one class that she takes outside of home one day a week.  They don't do the Jr. Journal, so I haven't decided if we'll add it or not.


As for math, we're still not totally sure.  We tried Math U See last year and got about 18 lessons in and she was bored.  I just got her some workbooks from the bookstore to keep her going.  Then the second semester there was math included in the core we used, so she finished it.  And, then we got her a couple of Singapore math books, which she LOVES.  So, it looks like that's what we'll be using.  However, before I made the purchase, I came across Teaching Textbooks and was really intrigued by it.  

 

We'll be starting Latin this year.  Very excited!!  I'm just starting to research this and a curriculum to use.  My bestie suggested starting with Songschool Latin, so that is at the top of our list right now.
We are also taking part in a group called Keepers at Home.  We'll meet once a month and will be going through the book and learning a new skill each time.  It should be a great time together.  I'm looking forward to learning a few new things myself.  =)


As an added bonus, I have to share with you some of the great books I earned with my Usborne Open House.  With the double hostess credits, consultant discounts, and commissions - I paid $2.28 for $450.65 worth of books.  SCORE!  I got some great supplemental books to go with our core since I know we're doing Intro to World History.  We also got tons of art books, reading books, and the Learning Palette.  Can't wait!


0 comments:

 
Loving, Losing, & Living © 2011 | Designed by Ibu Hamil, in collaboration with Uncharted 3 News, MW3 Clans and Black Ops